Author(s): Robert Rosenstone
Date: Format: PDF Language: English ISBN/ASIN: 0582505844
Pages: OCR: Quality: ISBN13:
Uploader: Upload Date: 12/29/2018 9:34:55 AM
To deal with film is to deal with a historical game pretty much outside the control of historians.This book provides a broad historical and theoretical overview to the rapidly growing field of history and film.
It introduces the varieties, types, and traditions of historical films made in Hollywood, Europe, and the rest of the world and the various and changing ways historians and other public critics (reviewers, teachers, politicians, historical actors) have greeted, evaluated, and debated the way particular historical events and history in have been presented on the screen.
Rosenstone argues that historical films utilize specific codes of conventions, visual, aural and dramatic, to engage us with and alter and complexify our view of the past. This allows film to create a sort of new history, one that we must approach with new conceptual tools if we are to evaluate its contribution to our understanding of the past.
Suitable for undergraduate history and film studies students studying history and film.
* Detailed examination of different types of films American, European, Mexican and Soviet made in different political systems and climates, supports the theoretical ideas in the book
* Chapter on recent Holocaust films shows how they present a wide ranging understanding of those horrific events
* Analysis of October, Eisensteins masterpiece on the Bolshevik revolution, in the context of the best written histories on the topic
* Chapter on Oliver Stone demonstrates why he is a brilliant historian of the Vietnamera
* Rosenstone is both a respected scholar in this field and also a participant in several major film projects, which allows him to unite the perspectives of both film maker and historian
Table of Contents
1. History on Film
2. To See the Past
3. Mainstream Drama
4. Innovative Drama
6. Telling Lives
7. Film maker/ Historian
8. Engaging the Discourse
9. Film on History
2374752Book GridView2′,’Link$0′)]http://www.nitroflare.com/view/399FD7BD3…[/url] 27.80stirkout GridView2′,’DeleteCMD$0′)]X[/url]