Author(s): Goutham Rao
All the key principles of medical decision-making-in one compact, case-based guide
"The book provides a comprehensive overview of many core principles in research design and analysis. It is logically organized, with clear learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter and pertinent examples to illustrate key concepts. The author does a wonderful job of simplifying a subject that has caused much confusion for many medical students and physicians.This is a book that I would enthusiastically recommend to other medical students. 5 Stars!"Doody’s Review Service
Rational Medical Decision Making: A Case-Based Approach is a hands-on text that clarifies the process of evidence-based medical decision making like no other source.
Following the trusted LANGE format, this portable volume is ideal for learning the fundamentals of evidence-based medical practice and skills. Whether you are a student, resident, or a clinician, here is where you’ll find all the right tools-including case studies, learning objectives, and self-assessment exercises-to take your decision making skills to the next level.
– Full-spectrum coverage, from basic statistics, medical literature interpretation, and statistics and data application, to different types of research methodologies
– Case-based orientation in each chapter, featuring cases designed to highlight the important principles discussed in that chapter
– Focus on learning critical evidence-based medicine concepts, such as Positive Predictive Values, Number-Needed-to-Treat Statistics, Pre Test Probability, Sensitivity and Specificity, and more
– Engaging discussion of research methods in the context of diagnosis- and therapeutics-centered studies
– An overview of the construction and evidentiary basis of Clinical Practice Guidelines, with a look at their definition, purpose, and use in aiding patient care decisions
– Anatomy of a Research Article chapter that goes beyond the interpretation of medical literature to describe the process through which articles are published